Friday, 19 July 2013
锦鲤鱼果冻 ~ Koi fish jelly
Ingredients :500ml Water
80g Caster Sugar
9g Agar-agar Powder
2 Pandan Leaves, tied into knots
150ml Fresh Milk
24 Small Black Currants
Red Food Colouring, 2-3 drops
Yellow Food Colouring, 2-3 drops
2 Fish Jelly Moulds
1. Roll the small currants into balls as fish eyes. Alternatively, cut 12 black currants into half and roll into balls.
2. Bring water, sugar, agar-agar powder and pandan leaves to boil over medium heat, stir every now and then. Turn off the heat and keep stirring for another 2 minutes. Discard the pandan leaves.
3. Dip a black currant into the agar-agar liquid then very quickly, place it onto the fish mould eye. Hold on the currant until it sticks to the mould. Repeat for the rest of the currants.
4. Take 3 teaspoons of agar-agar liquid and place into a sauce dish. Add 2-3 drops of red food colouring. Mix well and heat up in the microwave(covered) for 6 seconds.
5. Using the back of a small teaspoon(I used a 1/2tsp measurement spoon), smear the red agar-agar liquid quickly onto the fish mould body. Repeat for the rest of the fish mould bodies.
6. Repeat (4) & (5) for yellow food colouring. Let to set.
7. Reboil the plain agar-agar liquid. Turn off the heat, add fresh milk. Continue to stir for 3 minutes. With a small ladle, fill up the moulds with the agar-agar liquid. If it is too hot, cool down a bit before filling up.
8. Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours before removing from the moulds